Monday, March 29, 2010

Just technical training does not help;employee motivation is a must

I went to impart training to a big IT giant. It is very important for a trainer to understand the reason behind the training. Upon meeting their training head came to know that one of the team got poor customer rating and hence the project manager decided that the team members would undergo specialized training. The training module had theory as well as case studies. Problem solving was one of the chapter of that training. At the end, the team was given a problem to solve and each of the team member was asked about their approach to solve the problem. Guess what I got? Many answers; though same attitude.

*Will wait until the issue gets assigned to me. Why should I take a lead? Even if I don't solve it, I'll get the same salary.
*Will do something about it and wait for 24 hours so that the issue gets assigned to the next level as per SLA.
*Will go to my colleague for help who will solve the issue for me.
*Why should I solve this issue? I'm a senior person and hence I should be given only complex problems.

The list goes on........

The problem solving chapter emphasized on usage of statistical tools to solve problems. So, I wanted to know whether the organization; especially this team uses any such tools. 'Yes' was the answer. They even confirmed that after using the tools such as brainstorming, root cause analysis etc the requirement of this training was identified.

Since then, I've imparted training to 5 or more batches and observed the similar attitude of lack of interest, blame game, ego etc. After the training was over, I informed the training head about my observations. Hope the training department would do something about employee motivation.

This was not the only organization where wrong analysis for poor performance was done. There are many organizations which emphasizes on technical training and in the name of motivation they have policies which does not please every employee.The key to helping to motivate your employees is to understand what motivates them. Consider, for example, time with family, recognition, a job well done, service, learning, etc. How is your job configured to support your own motivations? What can you do to better motivate yourself?

Technical training just makes employees competent; but only motivated employees can perform & deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment